The following procedure should be followed when mixing fertilizers in nutrient tanks:
- Fill the tank with water
- Check if the pH is between 5.5 and 6.8
- Increase or decrease the pH if necessary with either an acid or base
- Start stirring the water in the tank. The water in the tank can also be agitated by switching the pump on and turning the tap of running to the plants and opening the back pipe wide open
- Dissolve small portions of one bag in a smaller 10 L bucket filled with water (ideally hot water)
- As soon as all the fertilizer is dissolved in the bucket, add the contents to the large nutrient tank
- Repeat this procedure until all the required nutrients are added into the nutrient tank.
- Ensure that the EC is between 1.8 and 2.2 mS.cm-1 depending on crop type and season
NOTE: For more information regarding the size of fertilizer tanks see heading the section: “Small tanks vs. large tanks”.